Members of the JHS and SHS Xigma Club were victorious at three international math competitions held between May and July 2020: American Regions Math League Local, Math Without Borders Spring Round, and the Hong Kong International Math Olympiad Heat Round. Our students garnered a total of 19 recognitions, triumphing in spite of the challenges of participating in these online virtual competitions.
American Regions Math League Local (ARML) 2020 – May 31, 2020
On May 30th and 31st, select Xaverians competed at the 2020 ARML Local alongside 270 teams and over 1500 students from all over the world. In the Philippine Local, Xigma is proud to have three students finish on the podium: Josh Daniel Cua (G11) and Richwynn Cedric Ong (G12) landed in 3rd place, while Matthew Shawn Tansiongkun (G12) finished in 2nd place.
Mathematics Without Borders Spring Round (MWB Spring) 2020 – June 20, 2020
Our students represented the country in the Spring Round of MWB as the Philippine national delegation competed against 12 other countries: Australia, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Malta, North Macedonia, Romania, Slovenia, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam. The Final for MWB will be held in remote locations on 16th and 17th August.
For this round, 8 Xaverians were recognized:
- Yuan Manolo H. Ramirez (G8) – Silver
- Josh Daniel Cua (G11) – Bronze
- Richwynn Ong (G12) – Gold
- Matthew Shawn Tansiongkun (G12) – Silver
- Mikhail Stefan Borbe (G10) – Certificate
- Miguel Sebastian Borbe (G10) -Certificate
- Luis Hugo Ramirez (G10) – Certificate
- Marcus Sean Tansiongkun (G10) -Certificate
Hong Kong International Math Olympiad (HKIMO) Heat Round 2020 – July 5, 2020
In this year’s HKIMO Heat Round for Team Philippines, Xavier School ranked 6th out of 178 schools. The participants were examined on four mathematical areas during the competition: logical thinking, algebra, number theory, geometry, and combinatorics.
After a rigorous round, 8 Xaverians were recognized for their mathematical talent:
- Yuan Manolo Ramirez (G8) -Silver
- Hans Kenzo Pama (G8) – Merit Award
- Mikhail Stefan Borbe (G10) – Silver
- Miguel Sebastian Borbe (G10) – Bronze
- Lance Gavin Pama (G10) – Merit Award
- Luis Hugo Ramirez (G10) – Merit Award
- Josh Daniel Cua (G11) – Gold
- Richwynn Cedric Ong (G12) – Gold
Xavier School celebrates the Competence and Character exemplified by our students in these remarkable times. Luceat Lux!